PROJECT PLANS 9_11_17 BACKUP

 
A FOREST LIKE NO OTHER
  • Slide Title

    The Whiting Forest is 54 acres of native Michigan forest, meadow, and wetland.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    The 2-acre Whiting Orchard reflects Herbert H. Dow's hobby of growing apples.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    Macauley (Mike) Whiting Jr., president of The Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation, reflects that as a boy he spent a great deal of time exploring the woods around his house where Whiting Forest now stands.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    The project centerpiece is a 1400-foot canopy walk (the longest in the nation), reaching four stories high.

    Button
WHITING FOREST PROJECT
  • Slide Title

    August 30, 2017 - Exterior stone installation begins on the pump house.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    August 7, 2017 - The Pond Arm nears completion.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    July 7, 2017 - Brazilian Ipe decking is added to "the knot" where the three arms of the canopy walk meet.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    July 8, 2017 - The Canopy Walk is reinforced where an expanse of cargo net suspends visitors 35 feet above the forest floor.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    June 14, 2017 - The view from the Pond Arm.

    Button
  • Slide Title

    June 8, 2017 - Hardscape is added to The Forest Classroom.

    Button
PROPERTY HISTORY
1901
The first piece of the Whiting Forest property was acquired by Herbert H. Dow, the founder of the Dow Chemical Company, and his wife Grace.  Herbert indulged in his favorite hobby by planting an extensive apple orchard and digging two ponds for irrigation, which remain beautiful features in the forest.  Herbert and Grace had seven children. Their oldest son, Willard, eventually became the second president of the Dow Chemical Company. 










1939
Ownership passed to Willard Dow. Upon his death, the property passed to his daughter Helen Dow Whiting, and her husband Macauley. The Whitings took great care to create a beautiful home for their six children and continued the apple orchard. When the Whitings retired to Sun Valley ID, they donated the property to the City of Midland. Now owned by the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Foundation, it was opened to the public in 2004.




2014
Metcalfe Architecture & Design and Jonathan Alderson Landscape Architects (of Philadelphia) began developing plans for construction in the summer of 2014.  Phase one will be completed in 2018 with a sneak preview and includes lodge renovations, canopy walk, a forest classroom, and planting of a four-zoned orchard.  The grand opening will take place in 2019.





WHITING FOREST IN THE NEWS
Fresh New Ways To Take The Pure Michigan Scenic Route To Fall's Finest Colors
July 20, 2017 | View Article

Dow Gardens Names Kyle Bagnall Whiting Forest Program Manager
June 26, 2017 | View Article

Canopy walk offers birds-eye view of Whiting Forest 
June 14, 2017 | View Article
















Childhood adventures are inspiration behind new canopy walk in Midland
February 15, 2017 | View Article

Dow Gardens will take visitors high into the forest canopy with new trails
June 23, 2016 | View Article

Canopy Walk project at Whiting Forest officially under way
June 23, 2016  |  View Article















Share by: